Friday, November 13, 2009

Absence

A week ago this morning I was in a little accident that tore my hands up - so I haven't been typing much.  A driver aggressively passed me in my lane only to slow down for other traffic moments later.  When I squeezed next to him to keep momentum - into a space that was a bike lane a block before - he drifted into me, sending me to the pavement. 

This was most likely an accident on the driver's part.  I doubt he intended to use his vehicle as a weapon as he stopped to make sure I was okay.  However, drivers will subconsciously and consciously  use their vehicles to block cyclists from splitting lanes.  Drivers must remember that cars are potentially deadly objects that must be operated with reverence for the power of mass at high speed.  Aggressive use of a motorized vehicle as a weapon is never permissible - motorists can be reminded of this through reprimand mucus directed through their unrolled windows.   

This blog will no longer exclusively be a race information hosting venue.  I intend to post articles and research dealing with cycling awareness, sharing road space, and transportation geography.  I was lucky last week.  I hope we can all work together to raise awareness for cycling in DC and to improve general riding conditions.   

1 comment:

  1. http://www.rightofway.org/research/cyclists.pdf

    cars kill

    ReplyDelete